Mountain State Oral & Facial Surgery has six trusted and conveniently located offices for patients to receive a wide range of excellent oral surgery services and cosmetic procedures. If you live in or around the Ashland, Kentucky, area or in Boyd County, and are interested in receiving expert dental implant treatment, our welcoming Ashland location may be the most easily accessible office for your needs. Dental implants are a versatile tooth replacement that completely restores a missing tooth, from root to crown. They can be used to restore a single tooth, replace multiple teeth as part of a bridge, or even support a full arch of missing teeth on both the top and bottom jaws in a revolutionary solution called a full-arch restoration.
Each of our board-certified oral and maxillofacial surgeons is trained to provide the full scope of oral surgery, including dental implant placement, using the most advanced tools and surgical techniques available. We encourage you to contact us to schedule a consultation appointment, where you will receive a thorough examination and a personalized surgical plan for expert dental implant treatment.
What are dental implants?
Dental implants are uniquely designed in three parts to emulate the structure of a natural tooth and provide the support needed to chew, speak, and smile with complete confidence. Dental implants look, feel, and function just like natural teeth!
The three parts of an implant include
- The implant post (also called the screw). This piece is typically made of medical-grade titanium and is the first piece placed in the mouth. Once implanted into the jaw bone, it integrates with the bone during healing time in the same manner as the missing tooth root.
- The abutment. The abutment is the connector piece that holds the custom-made crown to the implant post.
- The crown. Once the dental implant post has sufficiently healed in the jaw, the crown is connected to the top of the implant post with the abutment. The crown is custom-made to blend seamlessly with the surrounding teeth for a very realistic result.
Once complete, a tooth restoration with a dental implant can last for many years with good oral hygiene and routine dental checkups. The team at Mountain State Oral & Facial Surgery is happy to answer any questions you may have about dental implant treatment at our Ashland location, so feel free to contact us today.
Benefits of Dental Implants
While other tooth replacement options are designed to restore the appearance of your smile, they do not always restore complete function to your mouth. Dental implants are designed to offer both aesthetic and functional realism. The most common advantages that dental implants provide over other tooth restorations include the following:
- Dental implants preserve the health of your jaw bone. The roots of your natural teeth continuously stimulate the bone in your jaw when you chew to keep the jaw bones healthy. When teeth are missing and are replaced with bridges and dentures, the jaw bone does not receive this stimulation because these appliances only rest on the gums. The result is jaw bone atrophy, which can cause a host of oral health problems as well as a sunken look to the face. Dental implants are true tooth replacements, root and all, and they stimulate the jaw just like real teeth. They are the only replacement option that prevents jaw bone loss.
- Dental implants require no special care. Dental implants are designed to function just like natural teeth and can be cleaned like natural teeth as well. Just brushing and flossing on a daily basis will help your dental implants last for many years.
- Dental implants can last a lifetime. Most traditional tooth restorations must be replaced after several years of wear and tear. Dental implants fuse with the jaw bone, making them stable and permanent. With proper oral care and regular dental exams, you may not ever have to replace or repair them.
- Dental implants are versatile. Dental implants can be used to restore a single tooth, several teeth, or as part of full-arch restoration to replace an entire arch of teeth. If you are healthy enough to undergo a minor dental procedure, you are most likely a candidate for tooth replacement with dental implants.
Dental Implant Procedure
Because each patient is different, your treatment plan will be customized by your oral surgeon to meet your specific needs and preferences. When you visit us for your consultation appointment, 3D scans will be taken of your mouth, and you will have a chance to discuss your anesthesia options before the best course of action is determined.
Your surgical appointment will take place at a later date, once your consultation has occurred and you have had time to review your pre- and post-operative instructions. On the day of your procedure, our welcoming staff members will guide you through every step of the process. First, you will be made comfortable with your choice of anesthesia, and once the anesthetic has taken effect, your doctor will carefully place the implant post into the empty tooth socket and stitch the surgical site closed. When the anesthesia has worn off, you can return home.
After a few months of healing, while your implant post fuses with the jaw bone, it will be time for your restorative dentist to connect your custom-designed crown to your implant post. Once the restoration process is complete, you can treat your new tooth just like a natural tooth and eat, speak, and smile with complete confidence!
Dental Implants in Ashland, Kentucky
If you are interested in receiving dental implants to restore a tooth or multiple teeth, we encourage you to schedule an appointment with one of our trusted oral surgeons. Our Ashland, KY, office is staffed with an experienced and welcoming clinical and administrative team and is equipped with the most advanced diagnostic and surgical tools available to ensure you receive the best possible care and surgical outcome. If you live in Ashland or the surrounding areas, feel free to contact us today to request a consultation appointment with one of our oral surgeons.