Restoring your teeth with dental implants in Parkersburg, WV, is incredibly beneficial to your smile and health. All tooth replacement options are intended to restore your smile and your confidence, but only dental implants focus on also completely restoring your oral function and preserving your overall oral health. The unique design of dental implants allows them to function just like natural teeth while also providing a natural appearance. You can schedule a consultation at our office to learn more about dental implants for tooth restoration.
What is a dental implant?
A dental implant is comprised of three parts that work together to create a revolutionary solution to tooth loss:
- The medical-grade titanium screw is the first piece of the dental implant to be placed. The screw takes the place of your tooth root and fuses with the jaw bone to create the foundational support for the remaining implant parts.
- The metal abutment is the connector piece between the implant screw and the crown. Typically, the abutment is placed at a later date, after the implant has integrated with the jaw; however, in some cases, your doctor will place the abutment in the same procedure as the screw.
- The custom-designed prosthetic crown will look just like your natural teeth and will attach to the screw via the abutment. Once the crown is attached, you can enjoy all the foods you love and treat your new implant just like your other teeth.
Dental implants can give you a brand-new smile to feel confident with and help restore your oral function to its natural, healthy state.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental implants are highly beneficial to patients compared to more traditional replacement options. They offer many advantages to patients’ health, smile, and oral function, including
- Natural appearance
- Fully functional teeth
- Lifetime replacement option
- Simple care routine (regular brushing and flossing)
- No removable parts (which means no worry about them falling out)
- Prevent bone loss (integration with jaw bone provides stimulation needed to remain healthy)
Dental Implant Treatment
Your dental implant treatment will depend on your specific needs as a patient. When you visit our office in Parkersburg, WV, for your consultation appointment, one of our oral surgeons will examine your condition, take X-rays and 3D scans, and determine your personalized treatment plan. This initial visit is the perfect opportunity to get any of your questions answered and to choose the anesthesia you’d like to receive for your procedure.
Your next visit will be your surgical appointment. Your doctor will administer your chosen form of anesthesia and wait for it to take effect. Once you are either resting comfortably or numbed from feeling any discomfort, your doctor will carefully place the titanium screw into the waiting tooth socket. Then, he will stitch your gums up and wait for your anesthetic to wear off before sending you home for recovery. The next few months will be spent waiting for the implant to properly fuse with the jaw bone while your restorative dentist makes your crown.
When the integration process is complete, you will return to the office so we can attach your abutment. Your dentist will then connect the custom-designed crown to the abutment, completing the restoration. When the dental implant is complete, you can immediately enjoy all the benefits, such as a confident new smile.
Dental Implants in Parkersburg, WV
If you suffer from tooth loss, we encourage you to contact our office in Parkersburg, WV, to learn more about dental implants. Our friendly staff can answer your questions, provide you with additional information, and schedule you a consultation appointment with one of our skilled oral surgeons. We look forward to speaking with you.