Why get a facelift?
A facelift is a surgical procedure to restore youthfulness to the cheeks, chin, neck, and jawline. Common reasons for a facelift include
- Tightening sagging or loose skin, especially at the neck and jawline
- Reducing deep wrinkles of the face and neck
- Restoring fullness in the face where muscle tone and elasticity have been lost
During your consultation, your doctor will determine the right treatment plan for you based on your overall health, medical history, anatomy, personal goals, and more.
In general, there are two types of facelifts:
- Mini. A mini facelift typically addresses a specific area of the face or neck. Less tissue is shifted or removed in a mini facelift, presenting a more subtle solution for those who do not require a full facelift.
- Standard. A standard facelift is intended to remove a larger area affected by loose skin and wrinkles. It is an ideal solution for patients who wish to address multiple areas of concern, such as the neck and jowls.
Both a mini and standard facelift are performed using IV sedation or general anesthesia. Both forms of sedation allow you to rest comfortably and not feel any pain during surgery.
Depending on the type of facelift, your surgeon will make a few select incisions, usually at the hairline by the temples, around the ear, or under the chin. This will allow your surgeon to gently smooth and firm the area by repositioning the tissue under the skin. At this time, fat may also be redistributed, sculpted, or removed. Once the tissue has been successfully repositioned, your surgeon will place the skin back and stitch the incisions closed. Any excess skin will be removed.
You will remain in our state-of-the-art surgical suites for approximately one hour after your surgery. A follow-up appointment with your surgeon will be scheduled for the following day. Moderate pain and discomfort are normal for the first few days after surgery, and can be controlled with medications. Bruising and swelling are also normal and expected to decrease within 14 days. You can expect to see the full benefits of your facelift within six months. You will need to come back to our office to have your sutures removed, usually within 5–14 days. On occasion, your surgeon may remove your sutures in stages to reduce scarring.
Facelifts at Mountain State Oral & Facial Surgery
If you’re interested in any of the treatments we offer, we encourage you to contact our office to see how we can help you. We have offices conveniently located in Ashland, KY, or Beckley, Charleston, Huntington, Hurricane, Kanawha City, Parkersburg, or Princeton WV.
We work closely with The Facial Center to provide a range of cosmetic services, including HydraFacial MD®, JUVÉDERM®, facelifts, and so much more! Call us or visit The Facial Center’s website to learn more.