What are microdermabrasion treatments?
Microdermabrasion treatments use a minimally abrasive instrument to gently sand your skin, removing the thicker, uneven outer layer. This type of skin rejuvenation is used to treat light scarring, discoloration, sun damage, and stretch marks.
- Improve age spots and black heads.
- Improve hyperpigmentation (patches of darkened skin).
- Exfoliate your skin, resulting in a refreshed appearance.
- Lessen the appearance of stretch marks.
- Reduce fine lines and wrinkles.
- Reduce or eliminate enlarged pores.
- Treat acne and the scars left by acne.
Microdermabrasion helps to thicken your collagen, which results in a younger looking complexion. Collagen is a protein in your skin that’s abundant when you’re a child and makes skin appear taut and smooth. Collagen production declines as we age, resulting in looser, uneven skin.
After Treatment Care
Follow the appropriate Home Care Regimen sheet given by your technician
- Avoid direct sun exposure and excessive heat, ABSOLUTELY DO NOT go to the tanning booth for at least 3 weeks before or after a treatment
- Do NOT pick or pull on any loosening or exfoliating skin (could cause hyperpigmentation)
- Do NOT have electrolysis, collagen injections, or facial waxing or use depilatories for approx. 5 days
For the Next Two Day Period:
- Do NOT apply ice or ice water to the treated areas
- Do NOT put the face directly into a hot shower, Jacuzzi, steam room, or sauna
- Do NOT participate in activities that would cause excessive perspiration
- Do NOT use Buff-Puff’s or other means of mechanical exfoliation
- Do NOT direct a hair dryer onto the treated area
- Stay cool! Getting heated internally can cause hyperpigmentation
How Long Will My Results Last?
You will notice a healthy glow for a few days following microdermabrasion, but the best results can be seen after repeated treatments. The number of treatments recommended for maximal results can range from five to twelve, spaced two to four weeks apart. Maintenance of results requires periodic repeat treatments after the initial regimen is completed.
It is vitally important that you follow all patient care instructions provided by your surgeon. Your surgeon will also provide detailed instructions about the normal symptoms you will experience and any potential signs of complications. It is important to realize that the amount of time it takes for recovery varies greatly among individuals.